1. I really need to quit leaving my iPod in public places. This time I left it on the chair of a cafe near closing time, not in a large window on the corner of 34th Street and Fifth Avenue where I'm sure it was snatched within five seconds of my wandering off in oblivion.
2. When I was packing up to leave the apartment today and realized what I'd done, I felt like a shithead because it's the second really nice iPod that my really nice boss Geoff has given me that I've lost.
3. I decided not to freak and walked slowly back to the cafe where I'd been the night before. I thought about my new bedtime book, The Kite Runner, and compared the loss of an iPod to rape and cowardice and cultural destruction.
4. I considered that maybe I should be less dependent on inanimate objects.
5. I wondered where I can get a new iPod. ASAP.
6. I got to the cafe and saw my iPod sitting on a shelf behind the counter. I'm gonna go read now.